Thursday, August 15, 2013

Kayak fishing in Panama City

My wife and I are staying in Panama city for a few weeks, so I brought our kayaks.  I found a kayak club here and asked if anyone would like to show me around.  Matt graciously offered to take me offshore for Spanish and King Mackerel.  Going out two miles in my kayak was new for me, I usually fish inshore.  We went out two times and both times the water was rough.  One day it was real choppy, the other day there were 4 foot swells, which was more comfortable than the choppy water.  The first day matt caught 2 kings and 4 spanish, I caught nothing, but I did have 2 fish break my line.
The 2nd day the surf was real rough, the waves were crashing the shore, so i wasn't sure how to land my kayak.  I learned that you shouldn't get out of your kayak until you hit the shore.  I jumped out about 30 feet from the beach and was going to pull my kayak to shore, BIG MISTAKE.  The kayak didn't flip completely over, but it tipped enough for everything to come out of the kayak.  I lost 2 fishing poles and everything else stayed afloat long enough to recover.  Three nice people that were on the beach came out and helped me collect my things.  Matt came in aboutm 20 minutes later and i saw how to properly land a kayak in rough surf, ride it all the way onto the beach then jump out quickly and pull it on shore.  Matt, I guess I should of stayed out in the water until you showed me how to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment